Tiny Homes, Micro Units & Community
A light pizza dinner and cannoli will be provided. Please register so we can plan accordingly. Drinks not provided.
The acronym ADU (Accessory Dwelling Unit) is bandied about with more frequency of late. This is because of recently signed legislation that makes it easier for homeowners to add additional living units to their property.
WNAC’s 2/28 meeting will feature a panel of ADU experts who will address questions, such as:
- What is an ADU and where can they be installed?
- Is it possible for them to be self-contained or do I need sewer, water & electricity connections?
- I am tapped out and can’t afford new financing? What are my options?
- What about the business case for putting one my property?
- What sort of tenants are interested in living in an ADU?
- Is this a retirement option?
As a bit of a preview of what is to be expected, please see the video at the end of this post.
Speakers (more to be announced)
- Michael Brilliot, Division Manager, City of San Jose
- Tony Chan – Founder & CEO of ADU Builder, Inc.
- Eoin Matthews – Chief Business Officer – Point
- David Roberson – Principal at Silicon Valley Property Management Group & Author of Your Guide to Real Estate Investing
Potential New Broadband Option for the WNAC Area
Building on the work of a number of WNAC members to create a fiber cooperative network, Sail Internet was contacted about the feasibility of bringing broadband to the WNAC area. Sail has brought Internet to multiple MDUs (Multi-Dwelling Units) in Fremont and San Jose and has expressed an interest in serving our area, provided they get key antenna sites and a critical mass of potential customers.
Javier Quezada, Business Development, Sail Internet
In addition to the above topics, we will have time for our regular agenda items, including:
- Introductions/Agenda overview – Ken (2-3 min)
- Treasurer’s Report, Barbara (1-2 min)
- Pueblo Play BeautifySJ Update (3 min)
- 280 Cap/VTA update – Ken, Gary, Carlin, Marius (10 min)
- Sail Internet – (10 minutes)
- ADU Opportunities & Challenges
Date: Wed, February 28th, 2018
Location: Cypress Senior Center, 403 Cypress Ave
- IS IT POSSIBLE THAT ACCESSORY DWELLING UNITS COULD SOLVE CALIFORNIA’S HOUSING CRISIS? by David Roberson
- ADU Builder Summary Video – Providing Housing for the Missing Middle (see below)
Michael Brilliot, Division Manager, City of San Jose
Tony Chan, ADU Builder
Tony Y. Chan is the Co-Founder and CEO of ADU Builder, Inc, a startup that builds, finances, and manages ADUs in exchange for a portion of the rent. He is working hard to address the housing shortage in the Bay Area. Tony has been your trusted realtor for 5 years. In 2014, he brought in revenue of 20 million in sales. Previously, he was the Asset Manager for Palo Alto Real Estate Investment Fund I, LLC. This fund specialized in commercial real estate with over 80% IRR since 2012.
Tony started his career being a part of the Windows 95 development group at Microsoft. He then moved forward by becoming the founder of Facio software, the redberry company in China. Tony helped the company grow from 0 to US$2MM in sales within 3 years. Facio Software was then interviewed by Businessweek. Tony was also responsible for Vital Suites at Vitalsigns Software, Inc. The software received a Network World award and was later acquired by Lucent Technology. In 2003, Tony was responsible for storage management at Rhapsody networks in which later the company became Brocade Communications.
In addition to his executive career, Tony is the creator of a popular Android app, One Chinese a Day. This app was the #1 paid educational app available through Amazon Appstore. He also invested in 21 High Tech Angel investments which in return yielded 25% per year. Tony Chan obtained his Bachelors of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science from University of California, Berkeley. He holds a Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering from Stanford University.
Eoin Matthews is Point’s co-founder and Chief Business Officer. Point creates innovative financial solutions that help homeowners get the best use from their homes and their home equity wealth. In particular, the company has significant expertise in helping homeowners finance and build cost-effective ADUs, home remodeling, and backyard units. The company counts industry leaders like Andreessen Horowitz, Ribbit Capital, and Bloomberg Beta among its investors. Prior to Point, Eoin was on the founding teams of Sendgrid and Metails (acquired by Buy.com). Eoin holds a B.Eng in Mechanical Engineering from National University of Ireland, Galway.
David is a licensed real estate attorney, a licensed real estate broker, and has been involved in the real estate business since he graduated from college in 1986. David has personally been involved in hundreds of real estate transactions, has personally inspected over 2,500 residential properties, and is an expert in 12 separate building code categories. He has managed a portfolio of real properties in California and Arizona since 1998.